Wednesday 20 February 2013

[排骨冬瓜汤] Rib and Winter Melon Soup

Hey there~

During Chinese New Year, I asked my parents for their recipe on how to make 排骨汤 (rib soup). Romanized, the characters read pai gu tang. It's a really simple but delicious soup made using the stock of pork ribs, that I find both 清淡 (qing dan, i.e. light) and detoxing. Perfect for if you are feeling under the weather.

My parents used to make this soup loads during my childhood, so when I made this for the first time last night, tasting it was like tasting a flavour of my home: nostalgic and warming.

So, I will share with you how to make this! ◠‿◠

You will need:



One pack of pork ribs (~ 500g, smaller pieces are better)
Winter melon (~500g, quantity not too important)
3-4 carrots
Some radish (optional)
Lotus root (optional)
6-7 slices of ginger
2-3 spring onions
Salt/sugar to season
Lots of water!
Large pot



What to do:

1. Fill a large pot with water and add the ribs, bringing the water to a simmer for around twenty minutes.

2. Chop the winter melon, carrots, radish and lotus root into small slices, and add to the pot. Quantities are not too important, they will depend on your personal taste. Add the ginger, spring onions, and a teaspoon of salt.

3. Simmer for at least an hour; the longer the better!

4. Serve with rice or bread, or just drink on its own.



I like to let the soup simmer for at least 3-4 hours, if not longer, since the flavour of the rib meat and the bones takes a long time to become infused with the soup. My parents would keep the soup on the heat for so long that the meat would eventually fall off the bones, and sometimes the bones would even crumble, releasing the marrow which tasted really yummy! ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀

Again, I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you have any suggestions, do let me know~

Yishi xxx

1 comment:

  1. That soup looks so comforting. Perfect for the winter. And I love lotus root :)

    ReplyDelete

★ Comments and follows make me happy~♥ ☆